How to upload your contacts
There are multiple ways of adding contacts to your account and managing them.
• Adding contacts – via .CSV file upload
Please note that the .csv file you upload has to be in UTF-8 encoding format. Making sure the encoding of your file is correct will guarantee the .csv file is correctly recognized and formatted.
Proper CSV format:
CSV file stands for “comma delimited values” which are values separated by a comma, just as in the following example:
Navigate to your Contacts screen and select “Upload Contacts” from the “Add Contacts” drop down.
1. Confirm your contact’s consent.
2. Choose the “Upload contacts from file (zip, csv, json, xml)” and simply drag and drop the .csv file onto the screen.
The upload tool supports a single .csv file or a .csv list compressed into a .zip file. It is recommended that you keep the file size to a maximum of 25MB.
3. You can then customize the contact fields.
Make sure there is exactly one field labeled ’email’. There cannot be multiple contact field labels that use ’email’. The system will auto-detect existing contact fields as well as the following:
Here are some example values for these fields:
[email protected], John, Doe,
[email protected], Jane, Smith,
4. Then choose to add the contacts to either an existing static list or create a new static list for the contacts to be added to. This is also the step during which you can choose the final status of your uploaded contacts.
Larger files may take some time to process.
• Your column names cannot contain spaces. So a column called “first name” instead of “firstname” will not be accepted by our system.
• Remember not to add any characters or white spaces to the basic contact fields in the file – email, firstname, lastname. With any extra characters they will not be recognized
• If you have a Microsoft Excel file you can save the file to .csv by choosing Save As and choosing the .csv extension.
• If you are using a Mac computer, you will need to convert the file to CSV before uploading it.
• List and segment names have a limit of 128 characters
Adding contacts – via Quick Add
To manually add a single contact to your account, go to your Contacts Screen and click on “Add Contacts” > “Add Contact”.
The minimum required field is “Email”. Once the contact is on the account you can edit addition contact fields. You must check “I confirm these contacts have consented to receive my communications”.
Contact List – Upload Filtering
When you upload contacts, on the last step, you are provided with information about how many contacts were uploaded as Active, Inactive, Invalid and Unsubscribed and why they were uploaded as such.